Green Chile Alfredo
Green Chile Alfredo
Hey there, it's Jess. I am SO extremely excited to share this recipe with you. This week's green chile alfredo involved so many things that I love.
Chef Zeck came in and sat down right in front of me. The most important nugget of information I gleaned was that you do not NEED butter and flour (in the form of a roux) to make a successful alfredo sauce. He explained all that was needed was heavy cream and good mozzarella cheese (salt and garlic were in the mix also). Just like that, I began to attempt this divine dish.
I've been dreaming about a green chile alfredo pasta dish for weeks, and for some reason I kept trying to make it extremely difficult in the effort of creating something amazing.
The green chile alfredo sauce only requires 5 ingredients. I think the act of developing rich flavors with only a few ingredients is the true test of a great cook. All that's left is to choose the noodles that match your mood. Feeling classic? Go with the fettuccine noodles. Feeling like something a little lighter? Have a crack at these zoodles!
So after I harvested my noodles (because I'm really domestic and resourceful), I just chopped the remaining zucchini into thin slices that I can throw into a quick saute later. These affectionately dubbed "zoodles" are a growing trend in the Paleo world and among other advocates of healthy lifestyles.
The butter-less and flour-less sauce turned out thinner than I'm used to, but I really enjoyed the light coating of bold and decadent flavor. You can eat this dish in so many different ways; zoodles and noodles, just zoodles or just noodles! Also, a helpful chef's tip: If you get fresh mozzarella and shred it yourself, make sure to plan for all your snacking. It just happens. I so enjoyed transforming such a classic and well-known food into something a little bit lighter, with a kick of green chile. I hope you guys enjoy my green chile alfredo too!
- 1 1/2-2 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. chopped Hatch Green Chile
- 1 1/2-2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 zucchinis (peeled into zoodles)
- 1/4-1/2 package, whole-wheat fettuccine pasta
- Heat a pan to medium-low heat, pour in cream.
- Crush one clove of garlic and drop into the cream, whole, for flavor.
- Bring cream to a boil and let it begin to reduce.
- Once reduced a little bit, stir in mozzarella and chopped green chile.
- Continue to let it reduce.
- Dip a spoon in the sauce. If it coats the back without dripping off completely, it's ready.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss pasta and zoodles directly in the sauce, and scarf it while it's hot!