Vegan Hatch Tofu Tacos
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu (14 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- hefty pinch of ground cumin
- 3 Roasted Chopped Hatch Green Chiles
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 avocados, cubed
- First, you'll want to drain your tofu. You either can do this using a tofu press or using a towel to cover the tofu, putting it between 2 plates to squeeze out the liquid.
- Once your tofu is pressed and drained, pat it dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Crumble it into small pieces (about 1/2 inch) into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle the chipotle powder over the top. Drizzle in the tamari or soy sauce, stir and set aside.
- Using a blender, combine the vinegar, garlic, cumin powder, Roasted Hatch Green Chile, and 1 cup of fresh cilantro (the rest of the cilantro you'll use as a garnish). Blend well till you get a smooth chile sauce. Check the consistency of the sauce, and if it's too thick to blend efficiently, add in the tablespoon of water.
- Using a large skillet (12 inches), cook the tofu over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. If the tofu starts sticking, add a tablespoon of water or a bit more. Pour in the blended chile sauce and stir everything together till the mixture is heated through. While the food is warming, heat your corn tortillas.
- Serve inside your tortillas or with cooked rice, topping with cubed avocado or fresh cilantro leaves.