Green Chile Mac & Cheese
By: Hari Khalsa
8 ounces pasta of choice about 2 cups
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups grated cheese of choice I used a
mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar
1 cup diced fire roasted hatch chile peppers or to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package’s instructions.
- Deseed and dice 5 Hatch Roasted Green Chiles. This will make 1 Cup of diced green chile.
- In another large pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Then add in the flour and mix until completely smooth. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of milk in a steady stream while whisking until it becomes a smooth paste. Add the rest of the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the salt, pepper, diced hatch chile, and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the drained pasta and gently mix.