Green Chile Enchilada Soup
This green chile enchilada soup recipe is similar to Tortilla Soup (a New Mexican Cuisine favorite).
- 6-8 oz. Hatch Green Chile roasted. peeled, & chopped
- 1 26 oz. condensed cream of chicken soup
- 16 oz. (1 lb.) grilled or boiled chicken breast, chopped
- 1 tbsp hot red chile powder
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips
- 26 oz. milk
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 small/medium red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded cheese/serving after cooked
1. Sauté onion and bell pepper in a frying pan. Set aside.
2. Grill/boil chicken breast until cooked, chop into small pieces, set aside. Mix soup mix and milk in a large mixing bowl. Soup will probably remain chunky, this is OK.
3. Add chile and all remaining spices to soup mix, stir. Tear tortillas into small pieces, about 1-2 square inches each, mix into soup. Add crushed tortilla chips to soup mix. Stir until all tortilla and chip pieces are at least coated in soup mixture. Add chicken, onion and bell peppers.
4. Pour into a non-stick soup or stock pot, and heat on medium low heat (4 on an electric range), stirring every couple minutes to prevent sticking/burning. Heat until condensed soup is thoroughly blended and all tortilla pieces are extremely soft.
5. Serve in soup bowls with shredded cheese.
Optional: use fajita sized flour tortillas to scoop out the soup, as opposed to a spoon.