Yes, you certainly can grow Hatch Chile at home. That said, your success will depend on the growing conditions you can provide.
Hatch chiles are named after the Hatch Valley in New Mexico, where the climate provides ideal growing conditions. However, with the right care, you can still grow Hatch chiles in your own garden. Here are some best practices:
- Purchase Hatch Chile Seeds: Look for a reputable seed supplier who can provide you with Hatch chile seeds. There are different varieties of Hatch chiles, ranging in heat from mild to hot, so choose the one that suits your taste. We recommend Sandia Seed Company for authentic New Mexican varieties.
- Starting Indoors: Hatch chiles have a long growing season and may not have enough time to mature if planted directly outdoors in many climates. Start your seeds indoors about 8-10 weeks before the last expected frost. Plant the seeds in a seed-starting mix, cover them lightly with the soil, and keep them in a warm location.
- Transplanting: Once the seedlings are about 6 inches tall and all danger of frost has passed, they can be transplanted outdoors. Choose a location with full sun and well-draining soil. The plants should be spaced about 1-2 feet apart.
- Watering and Fertilizing: Hatch chiles require regular watering but do not like to be waterlogged. The soil should be kept evenly moist. A slow-release fertilizer can be used at the time of planting, and additional feeding may be needed throughout the growing season.
- Harvesting: Hatch chiles are typically harvested when they are green, although they can also be left to ripen to a red color. The peppers will be ready to harvest in about 70-100 days, depending on the specific variety.
Remember that factors such as the soil type, sunlight, and temperature can all influence the final taste and heat level of the chiles. While you may not be able to perfectly replicate the conditions of the Hatch Valley, you can still grow delicious Hatch chiles in your own backyard with a bit of care and attention.
Not enough time to grow this season? We've got your covered! We deliver delicious Hatch Green Chile right to your door year-round!