This recipe for traditional or Christmas style red chile enchiladas comes courtesy of one of our valued customers. We'd like to extend a big thank you to William and Stacy Layman for allowing us to post it online. Start by cooking a whole chicken in boiling water with celery, onion, and bay leaf until the leg falls off when grabbed. Remove chicken, cool and take meat off. Strain liquid, retain, toss the rest. Once you have your protein prepared, you can move on to the sauce itself.
The Red Chile Sauce:
- 1 Onion
- 1/8 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano
- 5 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Ground Red Chile
- Finely chopped onion in oil
- Saute 1/4 cup of finely chopped onion in oil until soft
- Add chopped garlic, flour, cumin, ground coriander, and oregano to sauted onion
- Bring to a gentle boil on medium low heat stirring occasionally
- Add chicken broth and ground red chile to mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil and continually stir to prevent the bottom from scalding.
- Turn heat down until mixture is at a gentle simmer.
- At this point some people add the following to their red chile enchiladas:
- -Chocolate Mole' Honey Tomato Paste (Optional)
- -A little dark chocolate and honey (Optional)
- -salt to taste
Cook 1-2 hours on medium-low heat stirring the enchilada sauce often.
The Red Chile Enchiladas:
- 1lbs Chicken Breast
- 2 Teaspoons Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- Salt (To Taste)
- Pepper (To Taste)
- 1-2 Dozen Corn Tortillas
- Cheese of your choice
- Boil chicken, green chile, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in water until the chicken is cooked through (Usually 15-25 Minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 Fahrenheit
- Remove chicken from pot and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Strain out liquid and add chopped chile to the chopped chicken.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat and lightly fry 1-2 dozen corn tortillas
- Roll strained chicken mixture in fried corn tortillas and place in 9x11 pan
- Cover tortillas with red sauce and top with cheese
- Bake enchilada for 20 minute
Serve the red chile enchiladas with sour cream, salsa, onion, or an over easy fried egg on top. For best results, make these red chile enchiladas using our fresh or frozen hatch green chile and our fresh red chile.
We ship only the very best of what we grow so its guaranteed to be good. Besides, starting with the best ingredients always helps, right?