Hatch Green Chile Chocolate Mousse
Have you ever wanted to use authentic hatch green chile in a dessert? Try our Green Chile Mousse for a sinfully spicy chocolate mousse.
- 3 mild or medium roasted, seeded and peeled Hatch Green Chile
- ½ round Nestle Abuelita hot chocolate tablet
- 1 square dark chocolate from your favorite chocolate brand. I used Godiva 72% Cacao.
- ½ cup water, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter. No substitutions!
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ packet unflavored gelatin
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
1. “Toast” your green chiles in the 2 tbsp butter, remove chiles and set them aside to cool. After they have cooled a bit, chop them into ¼ inch or smaller pieces.
2. In a double boiler, add ¼ cup water, the butter from toasting your chilies and the chocolates. Stir and melt, takes about 6-8 minutes. Let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. You don’t want it to be so hot that it cooks your eggs or so cool that I starts to harden.
3. While your chocolate mixture is melting in double boiler, use mixer to whip heavy cream into whipped cream: Pour heavy cream in mixer bowl, add ½ small packet of unflavored gelatin and the vanilla. Set to medium-high speed and let the cream fluff up.
4. In a small heavy-bottomed sauce pan, add the 3 egg yolks, sugar and the rest of the water (1/4 cup). Whisk together on low heat until mixture reaches about 160 degrees F. Stir while it is heating up. This should take only 3 or so minutes. Don’t leave it on the heat! Your eggs will scramble!
5. Add ice to a big enough bowl to fit you small sauce pan. Put your sauce pan with egg mixture in the bowl of ice to cool and whisk in the chocolate mixture. Stir in your chopped green chilies, then, when mixture is cool, fold in the whipped cream.
6. Spoon mousse into serving cups and refrigerate until set. Garnish with extra whipped cream. Or better yet, make a lime whipped cream!