Hatch Green Chile Ice Cream
Bet you've never tried this flavor before! Don't knock it till you try it!
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar – divided use
- 2 Vanilla Beans – split lengthwise
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Roasted Hatch Green Chile
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (spring for the good stuff!)
1. In a saucepan, scald the milk, cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, vanilla bean (pod and seeds) and half the Hatch Chiles, stirring constantly.
2. In a small bowl, whip the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until smooth like a ribbon. Pour some of the scalded liquid into the egg and mix well. Add that back to the scalded liquid in the saucepan and cook over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. Strain mixture into a bowl and add the vanilla extract.
4. Place the mixture in the refrigerator and chill completely. Place in an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufactures directions.
5. When it’s about half frozen, about 10 minutes into the process, add in the remaining Green Chile, diced very fine. Enjoy the Hatch Green Chile Ice Cream!