Sinfully Spicy Apple Pie
WARNING! This green chile apple pie is addictive and you will be enslaved to the green sweet heat! Try at your own risk of never eating a plain apple pie ever again.
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ pound butter
- ½ cup iced chile juice (reserved from steeping or frozen chile) (iced water can be substituted)
- 2 cups shredded Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 Granny Smith Green Apples (2.5 pounds) peeled, cored and sliced.
- 2 cups Hatch Green Chile, Roasted, Peeled, and Chopped
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup chile juice (reserved from steeping or frozen chile) (water can be substituted)
- ½ cup flour
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling
Chop butter into ¼ inch cubes and keep cold in refrigerator. Food process all dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Fold in butter until mixture resembles crumbs (pea size). Add cold chile juice. Mix in shredded cheese until mixture starts to form large clump (20 seconds or so). Divide dough in half and press into 4 inch disk. Place on greased plate, cover and refrigerate.
Combine apple, sugar, flour, chile, cinnamon, butter and chile juice in bowl and mix. Let rest in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Roll out crust 1 inch bigger then upside down 9.5 inch pie pan. Grease pan and lightly flower. Place bottom crust in pie pan allowing excess to hang over the rim and lightly flower. Roll out top crust. Pour apple mixture into pie pan and place top crust on. Pinch together top and bottom crusts and roll up.
With the tines of a fork, poke holes for steam venting. Place pie in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on top. Place on middle rack for 60 minutes or until crust turns dark golden brown. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
WARNING! You may want to eat 2 pieces…I won’t tell.
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes, Prep: 30 minutes, Inactive: 45 minutes, Cook: 60 minutes.